Monday, December 13, 2010

the big city and what I saw

I understand why many artists, writers, musicians, poets, and actors all want to live in New York City. Noisy, crowded, and nerve-wracking; yet exciting and stimulating to all the senses. I recently enjoyed several days there, walking and looking, absorbing the richness of visual images. 
I wanted to visit as many museums as possible. One visit that stands out was to the Frick Collection. It isn't too big to enjoy in one day yet there are amazing works there.  My best "Wow, I can't believe I am really standing in front of this Art" moment was a portrait of Sir Thomas More by Hans Holbein, the Younger. This portrait is so intensely suffused with meaning and emotion, it goes far beyond the technical beauty of mere painting. I spent most of my time standing near it and sketching in my moleskin. I was aware of the museum guard giving me a suspicious eye, maybe worried about my pen or my intentions?
When I visit a museum, I like to sketch from the artwork for as long as I can, I find this is the best way to  SEE what I am there to see. My eyes, brain and hand work together to make the images mean more.
I also enjoyed a gallery with pen and ink drawings by Fransisco Goya. Here is my sketch from a drawing titled "Poor and Bare Goes Philosphy".  This piece is more humorous and significant for me because my husband is a college philosophy professor.
The Spanish Manner: Drawings from Ribera to Goya
October 5, 2010, through January 9, 2011 The Frick Collection