Tuesday, December 22, 2015

the moment

Here we are, trapped in the amber of the moment. There is no why.
Kurt Vonnegut

















My sketch blog is back! To anyone who might be following my little blog out there, it has been a long hiatus this year. Late spring and early summer my mother became very weak and signs were clear that she was not going to be with us for much longer. I made many trips to Colorado treasuring those last sweet  days with her. She passed peacefully mid-summer and the family gathered for a gentle quiet funeral. It has taken me months to recover from these events.

Meanwhile, my own children were keeping me very busy. My two daughters each gave birth this spring, just two weeks apart. A new baby boy and a new baby girl joined our clan. I was present for both births to my great joy and (of course)! have been grandma-babysitter whenever. All of these events plus my part-time teaching job have crowded my days. And I do not like being busy. I like most of all to sit alone dreaming. It is a dilemma. A good dilemma to have but still tears me in different directions. I imagine all artists have this struggle to one extent or another. Dreaming alone, making art versus doing for others what needs to be done.